Item No: pdcc02196
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.6, Market Street, page 21
Historic Street Address:
3rd & Market Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00462, top [image dimensions 17.0 cm x 25.7 cm]:
Scene of a coverd bridge spanning a river with boats in the water. Two men gesturing on the riverbank.
Completed in 1805, the Schuylkill Permanent Bridge was the first covered bridge in America. Buit to replace a pontoon bridge at High Street (now Market) this new bridge was covered to protect it from the weather and thus extend its life. Designed by notable bridge architect Timothy Palmer, with woodwork and ornamentation by Owen Biddle, the bridge became a famous Philadelphia landmark. Widened in 1850 to accomodate a railroad connection with the Columbia and Pennsylvania Railroads, it was destroyed by fire in 1875.
Building demolished: YES
Item pdcc00463, bottom [image dimensions 10.7 cm x 16.2 cm]:
Published in John F. Watson's Annals of Philadelphia in 1830.
View of High (Market) Street Prison and covered market stalls or shambles as they were called, circa 1723. In front of the jail , near Third Street, two African American men are in a stockade and tied to a whipping post. Other men are shown in the street and on the sidewalk wearing colonial dress.
A917.481 P536 v.6
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Biddle, Owen, 1774-1806
Palmer, Timothy, 1751-1821 - Architect
Breton, William L. - Artist