Item No: pdcc01750
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.17, Education 1, page 3
Additional Title: Pennsylvania Training School for Feeble-Minded Children and two others.
Historic Street Address:
40th & Ludlow, Northwest corner
Print and Picture Collection
Item 1, top: Depicts the front view of architect Samuel Sloan's Italianate building constructed between 1857 and 1861 for the Pennsylvania Training School for Feeble-Minded Children. Founded in 1852 by Dr. Alfred Elwyn, a Pennsylvania physician, the institution quickly outgrew its original location in Germantown. This larger facility was built on a 60-acre site in Delaware County. In 1966 it became known as the Elwyn Institute, then later "Elwyn". Reproduction of an engraving. 22.8 x 13.7 cm.
Item 2, bottom left: Printed front page of the Catalogue of the Library at the West Philadelphia Institute, 40th and Ludlow Streets. The Frank-Furness-designed building opened in 1876 as the home of the Institute, one of several early trade schools developed in the 1850s for young men. In 1896 it became the West Philadelphia branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. 10 x 16.3 cm.
Item 3, bottom right: Newspaper clipping dated September 15th, depicts the "Friends' Academy" at 4th and Arch Street. The caption reads "4th Street, Below Chestnut, built A.D. 1697. From an original sketch made in the year 1829. Drawn and engraved for the Sunday Dispatch expressly to illustrate Westcott's "History of Philadelphia." 12.7 x 16.51 cm.
A917.481 P536 v.17
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler