Item No: pdcc03066
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.17, Education 1, page 83
Print and Picture Collection
Image 1, top: black and white photograph of a large storied building, known as Walnut Grove House (or Mansion), the country seat of the Joseph Wharton family. Located on 5th Street, just below Washington Avenue in South Philadelphia, it was considered to be one of the finest mansions of its day. Built before 1750 (exact year unknown), it was sold in 1836, used at one time as a coach factory, and later as a public schoolhouse, before being torn down in 1862. The date of this photograph is unknown, but the very faint words "public school" can be seen between the first and second story.
Image 2, bottom: black and white photograph of Philadelphia’s Mercantile Library. This image was taken from across 5th Street, in Independence Square. The photo is cropped to include the Library’s southern and eastern facades. The Philadelphia Mercantile Library Company was instituted in 1821. Having grown to the point of needing an entire building of its own, in 1844, the Library’s Directors moved purchase property along South 5th Street, south of Chestnut. The building featured in this photograph was thereafter constructed and opened for use 1845.
A917.481 P536 v.17
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler