Castner Scrapbook v.17, Education 1, page 50

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Castner Scrapbook v.17, Education 1, page 50

Item Info

Item No: pdcc03033
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.17, Education 1, page 50
Historic Street Address: 10th & Sansom Streets, SW corner
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection

Item 1, top left:  This image shows five faculty members of Griswold College.  No further information is available for this college's connection to Philadelphia.  Photograph, 15.5 x 20.5 cm (oval), undated.

Item 2, top right:  Jefferson Medical College was chartered in 1824, and located at 513 Locust Street.  The college moved in 1828 to a new location at the SW corner of 10th & Sansom Streets, to accomodate the rapidly growing number of students.  This image shows the Ely Building after a new Greek Revival facade (designed by architect Napoleon LeBrun) was added in 1845.  Although this building was demolished between 1898-1907, the Thomas Jefferson University/Sidney Kimmel Medical College occupies the same location.  Engraving and printed text, for an unidentified publication, engraved by Thomas Howland Mumford, 9 x 9.5 cm, undated (between 1845-1881).

Item 3, bottom left:  Another image of the Ely Building (post-1845), of Jefferson Medical College.  Engraving created by R. G. Harrison, Sr., for an unidentified publication, 15 x 11.25 cm, undated (between 1845-1881).

Item 4, bottom right:  Another image showing the Ely Building of Jefferson Medical College, after the third iteration of its facade in 1881, this one in the Victorian eclectic style, designed by architect Frank Furness.  Engraving by Hugo Sebald, for an unidentified publication, 10 x 12.5 cm, undated (c. 1884).

Creation Year: 1845
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.157664
Geocode Latitude:39.949103

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.17
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Hugo Sebald (1850-1870) - Engraver
Thomas Howland Mumford (1816-?) - Engraver
R. G. Harrison - Engraver
Napoleon Le Brun (1821-1901) - Architect
Frank Furness (1839-1912) - Architect