Item No: pdcc03067
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.17, Education 1, page 84
Print and Picture Collection
Image 1, top: Newspaper clipping featuring the continuation of an article about both the 1846 reconstitution of the Academy of the Protestant Episcopal Church in Philadelphia and the Academy’s subsequent home and overall revivification in the building constructed by Philadelphia architect, John Notman, at the southwest corner of Locust and South Juniper Streets. This clipping includes a printed image of the Academy’s Locust Street façade with accompanying text to indicate that the edifice was first enlarged between 1861 and 1868 and then outfitted by two “wings”—designed and constructed between 1899 and 1900 by the firm of Furness and Evans.
Image 2, bottom: Newspaper clipping of the Academy of the Protestant Episcopal Church’s Benson Library. Printed from an original black and white photograph, this image shows a capacious library, walls lined with books and a selection of framed artworks, hung salon style. To the right, situated atop an expanse of hardwood floors sits a large desk around which a selection of reading room chairs are placed.
A917.481 P536 v.17
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler