Castner Scrapbook v.17, Education 1, page 28Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item 1, top: View of the American Classical and Military Academy in the Mount Airy section of Germantown, Philadelphia. The right wing was built in 1750 as the country seat of Pennsylvania Chief Justice William Allen. Early in the Nineteenth century, the area took the building's name. In 1807 the building became the Mount Airy Seminary, and in 1836-35 served as a military academy. The building was demolished c.1848. Lithograph by George Lehman, printed by Cephas G. Childs and Henry Inman, lithographers. 21.4 x 18.6 cm.
Item 2, bottom: Exterior view of Rev. F. X. Brosius' Mount Airy Seminary, 1806-1813. The right wing of the building was built in 1750 as the country seat - "Mount Airy" - of Pennsylvania Chief Justice William Allen. The building also served as a military academy from 1826-35. It was demolished c.1848. Wood engraving. 15.3 x 10.5 cm.
Creation Year: ca. 1845
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.17
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Lehman, George, 1803-1870 - Artist
Childs, Cephas Grier, 1793-1871 - Lithographer