Castner Scrapbook v.17, Education 1, page 39Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Image 1: Top. This clipping features Central High School of Philadelphia, a gargantuan, stalwart edifice fronting west side of North Broad Street. The school comprised the entire block bound by North Broad to the east, 15th Street to the west, Green Street to the north, and Brandywine to the south. The clipping indicates that the school's corner stone was "laid on October 20th, 1894". Reproduction in unidentified publication, undated, 20.4 cm x 16.4 cm.
Image 2: Bottom. This clipping features the Oakland Female Institute, located along the eastern border of Norristown, Pennsylvania, on an eight-acre tract of land. Founded by Presbyterian minister, James G. Ralston, the Okland Female Institute was opened in 1845 and served to educate young women. In an 1860 "Circular and Catalogue of the Oakland Femaile Institute", enrolled students are listed as hailing from the greater Philadelphia area (including parts of Delaware, Maryland, and New Jersey) to the states of Iowa, Michican, Texas, and Mississippi, to the country of Peru. Lithographic print, undated, 21.3 cm x 14.2 cm.
Creation Year: 1845
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.325657
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.17
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
P. S. Duval & Co's Steam Lith Press, Phila. - Lithographer
J. Queen (from nature & on stone) - Artist