Castner Scrapbook v.17, Education 1, page 52

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Castner Scrapbook v.17, Education 1, page 52

Item Info

Item No: pdcc03035
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.17, Education 1, page 52
Historic Street Address: 10th & Sansom Streets, SW corner
Historic Street Address: today, near 50th Street & Woodland Avenue
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection

Item 1, top left:  Jefferson Medical College was chartered in 1824, and located originally at 513 Locust Street.  The college moved in 1828 to a new location at the SW corner of 10th & Sansom Streets, to accomodate the rapidly growing number of students.  This image shows the Ely Building after a new Greek Revival facade (designed by architect Napoleon LeBrun) was added in 1845.  Although this building was demolished between 1898-1907, the Thomas Jefferson University/Sidney Kimmel Medical College occupies the same location.  Photograph, 8.5 x 9.25 cm, undated (between 1845-1881).

Item 2, top right:  Another image of the Ely Building of Jefferson Medical College, this one an in situ view from 10th Street.  Photograph, 8.5 x 10 cm, undated (between 1845-1881).

Item 3, bottom left:  Another image of the Ely Building of Jefferson Medical College, a closeup of the Greek Revival facade.  Photograph, 13 x 17 cm, undated (between 1845-1881).

Item 4, upper center right:  This is an image of the Union Schoolhouse at Kingsessing, 1778. It was situated on the Darby Road, just west of where Darby Road met Gray's Ferry Road.  Engraving for an unidentified publication, 7.75 x 6.75 cm, undated.

Items 5 and 6, lower center right and bottom right:  A later image of the Union Schoolhouse, under the brief tutelage of poet, naturalist, and illustrator Alexander Wilson, from 1800-1804. The poem below the illustration, which appeared in a literary journal in 1804, is entitled "The Solitary Tutor," in which Wilson wrote of his experience at the school.  After Wilson left the school in 1804, to devote himself to the study of ornithology, the building was used as a blacksmith shop prior to its demolition in 1875.  Illustration:  Engraving for an unidentified publication, 8 x 6.25 cm, undated.  Poem:  Text printed in another unidentified publication, 6 x 4 cm, undated.

Creation Year: 1845
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.157664
Geocode Latitude:39.949103

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.17
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Alexander Wilson - Author