Item No: pdcc03055
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.17, Education 1, page 72
Historic Street Address:
4th Street, below Arch Street
Print and Picture Collection
Item 1, entire page: Detailed article about the history of the Protestant Episcopal Academy. The Episcopal Academy was founded in 1785, to serve as a seminary for the Protestant Episcopal Church in Philadelphia. The academy changed Philadelphia locations several times, before moving to Merion Station (1921-2008), and then to Newtown Square. Reproduction of an 1882 watercolor painting by David McNeely Stauffer*, for an unidentified publication, 18 x 13 cm (not including text), article not dated. The article continues on the next item, #pdcc03056.
*The image on this page is unfortunately incorrectly identified as an early building of the Episcopal Academy; but it is actually the Academy of Philadelphia, the earliest building for the what became the College of Philadelphia, and ultimately the University of Pennsylvania. To see the original watercolor of this image, and that building's history, see item #pdcc03040.
A917.481 P536 v.17
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler