Castner Scrapbook v.17, Education 1, page 14Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Historic Street Address: 37th & Pine Streets
Historic Street Address: 523-525 N. Broad Street
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item 1, top: View of the Penn athletic field, opened in 1885, located between 36th & 37th Streets and Pine & Spruce Streets. Photograph reproduced in unidentified publication. 19 x 12.5 cm.
Item 2, bottom left: Clipping records the University of Pennsylvania's College Hall (foreground) and Medical Hall (still under construction in the back right of the image). Completed in 1871, College Hall stands today as the oldest building on the University of Pennsylvania’s West Philadelphia campus. It was designed in the Second Empire and Gothic styles--each popular in the era--by the University's own professor of architecture and drawing, Thomas Webb Richards. Medical Hall, the second of the University's buildings to be constructed on the West Philadelphia campus, was also designed by Thomas Webb Richards. Completed in 1874, the Medial Hall served as the Medical School. It was later referred to as Logan Hall, in memory of James Logan, one of the founding trustees of the University. Circa 2008, the building was renamed Cohen Hall. Photograph reproduction in unidentified publication. 7.62 x 8.89 cm.
Item 3, bottom right: Exterior view of the Spring Garden Institute, 523-25 North Broad Street. The Spring Garden Institute was founded in 1851 with the intent to provide technical training, specifically in the areas of mechanical drawing and architecture. By the 1890s, the Institute was also known for its course of training in electrical engineering. The Institute's rigorous curriculum caught the attention of many notable Philadelphians, including Anthony J. Drexel. Drexel went on to model his institute--now Drexel University--after the Spring Garden Institute. Engraving. 11.5 x 8.2 cm.
Creation Year: ca. 1845
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.161333
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.17
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler