Item No: pdcl00010
Title: Front Street at Christian
Additional Title: Half-house, Front below Christian Street
Historic Street Address:
Front and Christian Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"Half-houses such as this were frequent in the old city and were built as both space and money savers. According to the sign, this house was the residence of a painter of houses, ships and signs.
The symbol of his trade in the form of a birdcage can be seen over the doorway. Beyond the house, at the left rear, is Sparks' shot tower, still standing today."--OPEP, p. 5.
The street, with half-house. People at window, on staircase, and standing and sitting on steps of house next door, facing the photographer. On the left, a white fence and view of the Sparks's shot tower. A wheelbarrow next to a street lamp on sidewalk.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
A917.481 P536 v.4
Moran, John, 1831-1903 - Photographer
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler