Cannon Ball HouseHistorical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Item No: pdcc00242
Title: Cannon Ball HouseMedia Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Built around 1715, the cannon ball house was so named after an incident during the siege of Fort Mifflin in 1777 when a cannonball pierced its walls. The British were using the house to provide some cover for an artillery battery. Both entry and exit holes were subsequently bricked-in and painted white.
The house was owned by the Bleakley family during the Revolutionary War.
Reproduction of a watercolor painting.
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.4
Creator Name: Wilkinson, Thomas Harrison, 1847-1929 - Artist
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler