"The Plantation". Pemberton's.Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Source: Print and Picture Collection
View of a house with garden surrounded by trees. Two women are depicted at the bottom of the path leading to the front door. The house was built by Judge John Kinsey, a long-standing member of the Pennsylvania Assembly, close to the Schuylkill River on Grays Ferry Road. "The Plantation" was, later, the country residence of the prominent Pemberton family of Philadelphia. During the revolution, the house was under the protection of the British forces. In 1826 the grounds were purchased for the site of the projected U. S. Naval Asylum, and the house served as the naval hospital from 1826 to 1833 during the construction of the new building.
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.4
Creator Name: Kinsey, John, 1693-1750
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler