Advanced
Residence of Dr. P. S. Physick

Item Info

Item No: pdcc00289
Title: Residence of Dr. P. S. Physick
Additional Title: 4th & Union Streets
Historic Street Address: 321 S. 4th Street
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Delancey Street was originally called Union Street. View shows a four-story brick house built in the Federal style in 1786 by wine importer Henry Hill. It became known as the Hill-Physick House after Dr. Phillip Syng Physick, who took up residence in 1815. Dr. Physick, the "Father of American Surgery", lived in the house until his death in 1837. One of the striking design features of the house is the large fan light over the front door, which was the largest of its kind in Pennsylvania at the time.


Notes:

Source: http://www.philalandmarks.org/phys_history.aspx


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.944095
Geocode Longitude:-75.148296

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.4
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Physick, Philip Syng, 1768-1837
Hill, Henry