Item No: pdcc02000
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.4, Old Houses 1, page 19
Historic Street Address:
2nd & Race Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00242, top [image dimensions 13.9 cm x 19.3 cm]:
Built around 1715, the cannon ball house was so named after an incident during the siege of Fort Mifflin in 1777 when a cannonball pierced its walls. The British were using the house to provide some cover for an artillery battery. Both entry and exit holes were subsequently bricked-in and painted white.
The house was owned by the Bleakley family during the Revolutionary War.
Reproduction of a watercolor painting.
Building demolished: YES 1996
Item pdcc00243, bottom left [image dimensions 11.5 cm x 9.7 cm]:
Original photograph showing four people standing outside row houses. A large wooden barrel sits on the sidewalk by the cellar doors of the nearest house. A heap of cobblestones and some building materials in the foreground suggest some street repair is in progress.
Item pdcc00244, bottom right [image dimensions 11.7 cm x 9.4 cm]:
Original photographic print showing an old 18th century alley, which was renamed Cuthbert Street. It ran east and west between 2nd and Front Streets. A group of people are congregated outside a small store. Signage on the awning advertises the sale of cigars, tobacco, groceries and provisions, milk, ice and lime. A man is sat on a cellar door reading a newspaper. The cobblestone street is in need of repair.
A917.481 P536 v.4
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Wilkinson, Thomas Harrison, 1847-1929 - Artist