Item No: pdcl00018
Title: Dock and Water Streets
Additional Title: Southeast corner of Dock and Water Streets
Historic Street Address:
Water and Dock Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"In 1860, Water Street was actually the river front and the location of wharfs and riverfront activity. This scene is close to the historic point of William Penn's landing and the Blue Anchor Inn, which marked the spot just north of Dock Street."--OPEP, p. 19.
The intersection, with large commercial building, with signs: "No. 2 Chains & Anchors, Daniel McCarthy, broker in iron and metals" ; "Commercial house" ; "Eugene Duffy" ; "Telegraph house". A man stands on sidewalk, trolley tracks on street. Horse-drawn carts on street.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
A917.481 P536 v.4