Item No: pdcl00108
Title: Philadelphia Circus, Callowhill Street at 10th
Additional Title: Philadelphia Circus, Callowhill Street at 10th, circa 1870
Historic Street Address:
10th & Callowhill Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"Formerly the New National Theater, which had opened in 1876, this theater was outside what was then considered the theater district, in a section on the northern limit of the city. As the picture indicates, it offered vaudeville entertainments and live
animal acts. The wagon was a delivery vehicle as well as a mobile advertisement."--OPEP, p. 111.
The building with "Philadelphia Circus" in large letters across the top; paintings of circus acts on the left, center, and right sides; and a painted decorative border around sign. Group of men by the main entrance. Horse-drawn wagon on street with sign on the sides:
"Philadelphia Circus, 10th & Callohill Sts." and "Matinees every Wednesdays and Saturday afternoons." Sign to the left of the entrance of the building:
"Family matinees every Wednesdays and
Saturday afternoons." Rowhouse to the left of the building and on the right is a building: "Lager Beer Saloon." Street car tracks along Callowhill Street.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
A917.481 P536 v.2
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler