Item No: pdcc01803
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 16
Historic Street Address:
808 Locust Street
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00097, bottom [image dimensions 15.5 cm x 16.0 cm]:
Originally the building house the First Presbytarian Church; it was converted into the largest musical auditorium in Philadelphia by William Strickland and opened in December 1824. The first National Republican Party Convention was held here in 1856. That same year saw the opening of the Academy of Music which supplanted the Musical Fund Hall as the premier venue for concerts in the city.The hall was eventually converted in condominiums.
Item pdcc00299, top [image dimensions 9.3 cm x 13.5 cm]:
An advertisement, clipped from an unknown newspaper, of William W. Long's Refectory and Museum Hotel. Depicted are various activities available, including billiards, bowling, bagatelle, shuffleboards, pistol and rifle galleries.
The advertisement indicates the address of the Hotel at Nos. 376, 378, 380 S. Third Street. The date, 1857, has been handwritten below the address.
A917.481 P536 v.2
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Baxter, De Witt Clinton, approximately 1829-1881 - Artist
Strickland, William, 1788-1854