Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 46Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00125, top [image dimensions 12.7 cm x 18.0 cm]:
Halftone reproduction of original photograph.
View of the interior of the hall, which was the largest musical auditorium when it was converted from being the First Presbyarian Church in 1820 by noted architect William Strickland. As well as a venue for great musical performances, it was here in 1856 the Republican National Convention convened. Great authors gave lectures here, notably Charles Dickens (in 1842) and William Makepeace Thackery (in 1853, and 1856). When the Academy of Music opened in 1856 the Hall was supplanted as the major venue for concerts and lectures. The building has since been converted into condominiums.
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.155103
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.2
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Strickland, William, 1788-1854 - Architect
Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870
Thackeray, William Makepeace, 1811-1863