Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 22

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 22

Item Info

Item No: pdcc01809
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 22
Historic Street Address: 1124 South Street
Historic Street Address: 310 South Quince Street
Historic Street Address: South & Apollo Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00105, top left [image dimensions 5.5 cm x 5.4 cm]:

Owned by Black entrepeneur John T. Gibson, this theatre featured noted Black American entertainers of the 1920s including Duke Ellington and Ethel Waters. The theatre attracted multi-racial audiences until it closed in 1931. Opened in 1888, the theatre became a movie house before being torn down in 1951.

Building demolished: YES 1951


Notes:

Item pdcc00106, bottom left [image dimension 5.5 cm x 7.5 cm]:

After overcoming initial puritanical opposition, the Southwark Theatre opened in 1766 by actor/manager David Douglass marking the beginning of permanent theater in Philadelphia.

It closed as a playhouse in 1821, and served as a distillery.

Building demolished: YES 1921


Notes:

Item pdcc00107, bottom right [image dimensions 12.5 cm x 10.0 cm]:

Built in 1834 as St. Paul's Lutheran Church, the building at 310 South Quince Street was remodeled into the clubhouse of the Mask and Wig Club in 1894.  The remodelling was undertaken by noted architect Wilson Eyre who designed it in the Bavarian style with indoor murals by Maxfield Parrish.

Source:http://www.maskandwig.org/


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.945936
Geocode Longitude:-75.160596

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.2
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Gibson, John T., 1878-1937
Ellington, Duke, 1899-1974
Waters, Ethel, 1896-1977
Douglass, David, -1789
Eyre, Wilson, 1858-1944 - Architect
Parrish, Maxfield, 1870-1966 - Artist

View other associated items