Item No: pdcc00114
Title: Arch Street Theatre
Historic Street Address:
613 Arch Street
Print and Picture Collection
Also shows a poster announcing a performance by "Wheatley A. Drew's Arch Street Theatre."
Designed by architect John Haviland, a leading architect of his day, the Arch Street Theatre opened its doors in 1828 but failed to achieve any success until two years later when William Forrest, brother of Edwin Forrest, took over its management. Soon after, it began to rival the two other major theatres - the Chestnut Street Theatre and the Walnut Street Theatre - with performances by Edwin Forrest who was then in his prime. The theatre's heyday, though, began in 1861 with the arrival of Mrs. John Drew as manager. For the next thirty-one years the theatre-going public was treated to one of the greatest of all American stock companies. After Drew's tenure ended in 1892 the theater's stature went into a slow decline until the building itself was demolished in 1936.
The building was designed in the Greek Revival style; its pediment is decorated with a sculptural grouping which includes a youth with his arm resting on a lyre.
A917.481 P536 v.2
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Haviland, John, 1792-1852 - Architect
Forrest, Edwin, 1806-1872
Forrest, William, 1800-1834
Drew, John, Mrs.