Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 10

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 10

Item Info

Item No: pdcc01797
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 10
Historic Street Address: 13th & Arch Streets
Historic Street Address: Broad and Locust Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00086, top left [image dimensions 6.5 cm x 6.5 cm]:

An amateurs'  Drawing Room Theatre opened in this building on 17th Street above Chestnut  in 1865.  A sign on the side of the building displays the words : Frank P. Mellon, Hay, Straw & Oats.  A horse-drawn cart is being loaded with large bales from a loading dock high up just below the roof line.

Building demolished: YES


Notes:

Item pdcc00087, middle left [image dimensions 6.0 cm x 7.0 cm]:

Halftone reproduction of an original photograph.

Source :http://www.brynmawr.edu/cities/archx/04-600/wgh/empire.html

The Empire Theatre stood at Broad and Locust Streets from 1891 to 1898  and produced large scenic productions during its short existence.  Designed by architect Willis G. Hale, the elaborate building was built in the Queen Anne style - unusual for a serious theatre. Two huge Norman turrets with Spanish tile cones topped by spires dominated each end of its Broad Street facade. Three Ogee arches at the first level were topped by thirty Islamic arches on the second and third levels which rose to a pagoda style roof.

Because the site was too valuable for a theatre, the building was torn down and replaced by the large Walton Hotel in 1898.

Building demolished: YES ca. 1898


Notes:

Item pdcc00088, bottom [image dimensions 12.0 cm x 16.5 cm]:

Halftone reproduction of an original photograph.

St. George's Hall was built in 1835 by architect Thomas Walter Ustick as a residence for Philadelphia railroad magnate Matthew Newkirk. Gracing the Southwest corner of 13th & Arch Streets, the marble palace was bought by the Society of the Sons of St. George in 1876 for use as their headquarters. A statue of St. George on horseback slaying the dragon decorated the front of the building. The building was demolished in 1903.

Building demolished: YES 1903


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.954185
Geocode Longitude:-75.160996

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.2
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Hale, Willis Gaylord, 1848-1907 - Architect
Walter, Thomas Ustick, 1804-1887 - Architect
Newkirk, Matthew, 1794-1868