Advanced
Keith's Theatre

Item Info

Item No: pdcc00134
Title: Keith's Theatre
Historic Street Address: 12th & Chestnut Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Opened in 1901 as Chestnut Street Keith's Theatre by impresario Benjamin F. Keith, it became a major vaudeville destination for such stars as Charlie Chaplin, Al Jolson and the Marx Brothers. The building's seven-story facade featured a recessed entrance under a triumphal arch supported by Ionic columns. In 1943, following years of gradual decline, William Goldman acquired the theatre to add to his movie circuit and renamed it the Randolph Theatre in memory of his late son Randolph. After extensive renovation to the auditorium it became one of the city's premier first-run movie theatres. In 1971 it closed and was demolished.


Notes:

Source: http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/3363


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.950390
Geocode Longitude:-75.160207

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.2
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Keith, B. F. (Benjamin Franklin), 1846-1914
Goldman, William