Item No: pdcc00084
Title: The Academy of Fine Arts
Historic Street Address:
118-128 North Broad Street
Print and Picture Collection
Halftone reproduction of an original photograph.
The Academy of Fine Arts, now called the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, is situated on Broad & Cherry Streets. The institution was founded in 1805 by the painter Charles Willson Peale and the sculptor William Rush. It is the oldest art museum and school in the United States. The building shown is its current home and was built in 1876 and designed by Frank Furness and George Hewitt. Former student Thomas Eakins became a faculty member in 1878 and Director in 1882. The building has been designated as a National Historic Landmark.
A917.481 P536 v.2
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Peale, Charles Willson, 1741-1827
Furness, Frank, 1839-1912 - Artist
Hewitt, George Watson, 1841-1916 - Architect
Rush, William, 1756-1833