Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 4

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 4

Item Info

Item No: pdcc01791
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 4
Historic Street Address: 6th & Chestnut Streets
Historic Street Address: Fifth & Chestnut Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00071, top [image dimensions 14.5 cm x 19.0 cm]:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/988747

The first Chestnut Street Theatre (originally named the New Theatre) was often referred to as one of the Seven Wonders of America.  Begun in 1794, the georgian building which was modeled after the Theatre Royal in Bath, England, wasn't completed until 1805.  In 1816 it became the first American theatre to be illuminated by gas fixtures rather than candlelight or oil lamps.  Four years later, however, the building along with its library, scenery and costumes was destroyed by a suspicious fire. The image, c.1820, shows the theatre's Chestnut Street facade, along with well-dressed citizens and a canopied horse-drawn carriage.

Building demolished: YES 1820


Notes:

Item pdcc00072, bottom right [image dimensions 16.0 cm x 12.5 cm]:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/988747

Drawn and engraved for the Sunday Dispatch expressly to illustrate Westcott's "History of Philadelphia."

Building demolished: YES 1820


Notes:

Item pdcc00073,  bottom left [image dimensions 6.1 cm x 7.3 cm]:

The second Chestnut Street Theatre rose from the ashes of the first Chestnut Street Theatre in 1822, which had burned down two years earlier. Its marble facade was embellished with statues of Comedy and Tragedy, sculpted by William Rush.

Building demolished: YES 1856


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.949228
Geocode Longitude:-75.150969

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.2
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Rush, William, 1756-1833