Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 12Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Historic Street Address: Broad Street & Montgomery Avenue
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00089, top left [image dimensions 17.5 cm x 11.0 cm]:
When it opened in 1888 The Grand Opera House on Broad Street and Montgomery Avenue became the third active opera house in Philadelphia alongside the Academy of Music and the Chestnut Street Opera House. Home of the National Opera Company, founded by Gustave Hinrich, it opened its doors on April 7th 1888 with a performance of Tannhauser. In 1891, the first American performance of Cavallera Rusticana, by Mascagni, was performed there. By 1912, Philadelphia could not support three opera houses, and the theatre was bought by the Nixon chain and renamed Nixon's Grand. It featured big name acts and showed feature movies through the 1930s. It closed its doors for the last time in 1940.
The image shows a depiction of the enormous auditorium during an opera performance.
Building demolished: YES 1940
Item pdcc00090, bottom left [image dimensions 8.0 cm x 10.0 cm]:
The second Chestnut Street Theatre, depicted here, rose from the ashes of the first theatre two years after it was destroyed by fire in 1820. This new theatre, which stood near the corner of Sixth & Chestnut Streets, was itself consumed by fire in 1856.
In this view the classically inspired facade of the theatre is enlivened by a busy street scene with a horse-drawn carriage, a rider on horseback and pedestrians passing by.
Building demolished: YES 1856
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.150969
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.2
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Levytype Co. - Engraver