Item No: pdcc00087
Title: Empire Theatre
Historic Street Address:
Broad and Locust Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Halftone reproduction of an original photograph.
The Empire Theatre stood at Broad and Locust Streets from 1891 to 1898 and produced large scenic productions during its short existence. Designed by architect Willis G. Hale, the elaborate building was built in the Queen Anne style - unusual for a serious theatre. Two huge Norman turrets with Spanish tile cones topped by spires dominated each end of its Broad Street facade. Three Ogee arches at the first level were topped by thirty Islamic arches on the second and third levels which rose to a pagoda style roof.
Because the site was too valuable for a theatre, the building was torn down and replaced by the large Walton Hotel in 1898.
A917.481 P536 v.2
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Hale, Willis Gaylord, 1848-1907 - Architect