Item No: pdcc00079
Title: Chinese Museum
Additional Title: 9th & Sansom Streets
Historic Street Address:
Ninth & Sansom Streets
Print and Picture Collection
The engraving shows the building on Ninth & Sansom Streets that housed the Chinese Museum from 1838 to 1841. The collection of Chinese objects, art and life-sized figures in recreated Chinese room settings, was founded by merchant and philanthropist Nathan Dunn.
The building which housed the museum was known as The Philadelphia Museum, or Peale's Museum, founded by the famous Philadelphia painter Charles Willson Peale, who used it to display his own works of art.
From 1845 on, the building was put to various uses and became the most popular place in the city for balls, banquets and public meetings. The Horticultural Society held it annual flower show in the hall and the Franklin Institute held several exhibits there.
The Whig Convention of 1848, nominated Zachary Taylor and Millard Fillmore for President and Vice President there.
In 1854 a fire originated in the National Theatre on Chestnut Street, the back of which was but a few feet from the Chinese Museum. The fire spread until practically the whole block from 8th to 9th Street and Chestnut to Sansom was destroyed, including the Chinese Museum.
The lot remained vacant until 1857, when the Continental Hotel was built on the site. In 1925 it was replaced by the Benjamin Franklin Hotel.
Source : tp://www.amphilsoc.org/mole/view?docId=ead/Mss.069.C17n-ead.xml
A917.481 P536 v.2
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Peale, Charles Willson, 1741-1827
Dunn, Nathan, 1782-1844
Taylor, Zachary, 1784-1850
Fillmore, Millard, 1800-1874