Item No: pdcc01824
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 37
Historic Street Address:
6th & Chestnut Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00122, middle [image dimensions 9.8 cm x 17.8 cm]:
Halftone reproduction of original lithographic print.
[ Original print: Lithographers: Childs & Inman. Artist: G. Lehman. Located in Philadelphiana Collection. Box: Allens Lane Art Center - Arcades Folder: Arcades ]
The cornerstone of the Philadelphia Arcade was laid in 1826. Located on Chestnut Street below Seventh, the Arcade was inspired by the Burlington Arcade in London, England, where the collection of small shops in one building was at the time most successful. The site was 100 feet by 150 feet, with two grand avenues running through it from Chestnut Street to Carpenter Street, upon which were stores and offices. The third story was occupied by the Philadelphia Museum. There were eighty rooms in the shop part of the buiding, and in the basement was a fashionable restaurant. The Arcade was finished in 1827 and the rental of the shops was six thousand four hundred and seventy dollars.
After Dr. David Jayne bought the building the second and third stories were fitted up as a hotel. In 1863, Dr. Jayne tore down the Arcade and replaced it with five stores.
Building demolished: YES 1863
A917.481 P536 v.2
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler