Item No: pdcc00097
Title: Musical Fund Hall, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Historic Street Address:
808 Locust Street
Print and Picture Collection
Originally the building housed the First Presbytarian Church; it was converted into the largest musical auditorium in Philadelphia by William Strickland and opened in December 1824. The first National Republican Party Convention was held here in 1856. That same year saw the opening of the Academy of Music which supplanted the Musical Fund Hall as the premier venue for concerts in the city.The hall was eventually converted into condominiums.
A917.481 P536 v.2
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Strickland, William, 1788-1854 - Architect