Item No: pdcc00106
Title: Old Southwark Theatre, cor. South and Apollo Sts.
Historic Street Address:
South & Apollo Streets
Print and Picture Collection
After overcoming initial puritanical opposition, the Southwark Theatre opened in 1766 by actor/manager David Douglass marking the beginning of permanent theater in Philadelphia.
It closed as a playhouse in 1821, and served as a distillery until it was demolished in 1912.
A917.481 P536 v.2
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Douglass, David, -1789