Item No: pdcc00089
Title: Grand Opera House.
Historic Street Address:
Broad Street & Montgomery Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
When it opened in 1888 The Grand Opera House on Broad Street and Montgomery Avenue became the third active opera house in Philadelphia alongside the Academy of Music and the Chestnut Street Opera House. Home of the National Opera Company, founded by Gustave Hinrich, it opened its doors on April 7th 1888 with a performance of Tannhauser. In 1891, the first American performance of Cavallera Rusticana, by Mascagni, was performed there. By 1912, Philadelphia could not support three opera houses, and the theatre was bought by the Nixon chain and renamed Nixon's Grand. It featured big name acts and showed feature movies through the 1930s. It closed its doors for the last time in 1940.
The image shows a depiction of the enormous auditorium during an opera performance.
A917.481 P536 v.2
Levytype Co. - Engraver
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler