Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 8Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Historic Street Address: Broad & Locust Streets
Historic Street Address: Ninth & Sansom Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00080, top left [image dimensions 20.0 cm x 12.0 cm]:
A printed advertisement for the Museum which stood at Ninth and George (Sansom) Streets.
The building was razed by fire in 1854.
Building demolished: YES 1854
Item pdcc00081, top right [image dimensions 20.5 cm x 12.8 cm]:
Front cover of the Colosseum Cyclorama's hand book advertising its exhibition entitled "Paris By Night", for which the building was expressly designed. The cover shows an image of the Colosseum with horse-drawn carriages passing in front. The circular building stood on the southeast corner of Broad and Locust Streets opposite the Academy of Music. Originally erected on Broadway and Thirty-fifth Streets in New York City, it was moved to Philadelphia in the spring of 1876. It's cylindrical form had a diameter of 129 feet. Made from corrugated iron, the outside measured 405 feet in circumference and stood 75 feet high. The inside of the building was decorated with a large circular painting of a panorama of the City of Paris, France. Covering over 40,000 square feet, the spectator viewed the spectacle from a central raised platform. Looking downward a representation of the city unfolded in convincing perspective. Higher up, the sky, complete with stars, was painted on the extended canvas, adding to the illusion.
Building demolished: YES
Item pdcc00082, bottom left [image dimensions 6.5 cm x 11.0 cm]:
Trade card (?) for the 11th Street Opera House depicting a caricature of two separate groups of people outside the theater. The slim well-dressed group entering the building in a restrained, orderly fashion on the right is drawn in stark contrast to the rowdy, boisterous over-weight crowd on the left side. The name "Carncross" on the poster and above the entrance refers to the promoter of the minstrel shows, for which the theater was best known. The building, which stood on 11th Street above Chestnut, had a history of various uses beginning life as a House of Worship. It opened as the 11th Street Opera House on March 19th, 1855, for a minstrel performance.
Item pdcc00083, bottom right [image dimensions 8.0 cm x 6.3 cm]:
Halftone reproduction of the third Chestnut Street Theatre. It was built in 1862 and located at 1211 Chestnut Street, some seven blocks west of the two earlier Chestnut Street theatres. It enjoyed considerable success becoming a fashionable place to spend the evenings. It remained open for 50 years closing its doors for the last time in 1913. Not long afterwards the old building was demolished.
Building demolished: YES ca. 1914
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.160722
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.2
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler