Item No: pdcc00109
Title: Surin's Theatre
Additional Title: Prune (Locust) St. South Side below 6th St.
Historic Street Address:
518 Locust Street
Print and Picture Collection
Media type: Pen-and-wash Drawing
Surin's Theatre - also known as the Winter Tivoli Theatre and, later, the Prune Street Theatre (Prune Street being the old name for Locust Street) - was owned by Stanislaus Surin. It opened in 1820 and ran for two successful seasons. It was here in 1823 that John Howard Payne's melodrama "Clari, the Maid of Milan" featuring the song "Home, Sweet Home" was first played in America. The building continued as a theatre until 1825 when it became the campus of Jefferson Medical College until their building on Tenth Street was completed in 1829.
A917.481 P536 v.2
Stauffer, David McNeely, 1845-1913 - Artist
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler