Item No: pdcc00061
Title: Academy of Music
Additional Title: Broad and Locust Streets.
Historic Street Address:
Broad & Locust Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Link to :http://www.academyofmusic.org/fs_history.htm
Reproduction of a photograph of the Academy of Music on South Broad Street. The concert hall was opened on January 26, 1857. It is the oldest grand opera house in the United States still used for its original purpose. Home to the Philadelphia Orchestra from 1900 to 2001, the Academy remains one of the busiest halls in the world and hosts a myriad of community functions and cultural activities, including performances by the Opera Company of Philadelphia, the Pennsylvania Ballet and Philly Pops with Peter Nero. The Academy is owned by the Philadelphia Orchestra Association and managed by the Kimmel Center for the Peforming Arts.
A917.481 P536 v.2
Levytype Co. - Photographer
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler