Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 28Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Historic Street Address: 7th & Chestnut Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00113, top [image dimensions 10.0 cm x 21.5 cm]:
Halftone reproduction of Rae's Chestnut Street Panorama, this newspaper clipping includes the Barnum's Museum building with various names of businesses on street level, including: Edward L. Walker; C. G. Henderson & Co.
Item pdcc00114, bottom [image dimensions 18.6 cm x 13.5 cm]:
Also shows a poster announcing a performance by "Wheatley A. Drew's Arch Street Theatre."
Designed by architect John Haviland, a leading architect of his day, the Arch Street Theatre opened its doors in 1828 but failed to achieve any success until two years later when William Forrest, brother of Edwin Forrest, took over its management. Soon after, it began to rival the two other major theatres - the Chestnut Street Theatre and the Walnut Street Theatre - with performances by Edwin Forrest who was then in his prime. The theatre's heyday, though, began in 1861 with the arrival of Mrs. John Drew as manager. For the next thirty-one years the theatre-going public was treated to one of the greatest of all American stock companies. After Drew's tenure ended in 1892 the theater's stature went into a slow decline until the building itself was demolished in 1936.
The building was designed in the Greek Revival style; its pediment is decorated with a sculptural grouping which includes a youth with his arm resting on a lyre.
Building demolished: YES 1936
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.152345
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.2
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Rae, Julio H. - Lithographer
Haviland, John, 1792-1852 - Architect
Forrest, Edwin, 1806-1872
Forrest, William, 1800-1834
Drew, John, Mrs.