Item No: pdcc00088
Title: St. George's Hall, Thirteenth and Arch Sts.
Additional Title: Headquarters of the English Society of St. George.
Historic Street Address:
13th & Arch Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Halftone reproduction of an original photograph.
St. George's Hall was built in 1835 by architect Thomas Walter Ustick as a residence for Philadelphia railroad magnate Matthew Newkirk. Gracing the Southwest corner of 13th & Arch Streets, the marble palace was bought by the Society of the Sons of St. George in 1876 for use as their headquarters. A statue of St. George on horseback slaying the dragon decorated the front of the building. The building was demolished in 1903.
A917.481 P536 v.2
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Walter, Thomas Ustick, 1804-1887 - Architect
Newkirk, Matthew, 1794-1868