Item No: pdcc00137
Title: Philadelphia's Skating Club Now Seventy-Six Years Old
Additional Title: House of the Philadelphia Skating Club
Print and Picture Collection
Halftone reproduction of original photograph printed on newspaper.
The Philadelphia Skating Club and Humane Society was incorporated in 1861 with the objectives to instruct and improve the art of skating and promote the development of indoor rinks. Before the advent of skating rinks, most ice-skating took place on the city's rivers, especially the Schuylkill. The Society's clubhouse, built on the East River Drive (now Kelly Drive) in Fairmount Park, opened on February 27th. 1861. Until about 1895 skating on the Schuylkill was popular and the river clubhouse was the scene of much activity.
A917.481 P536 v.2
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler