Item No: pdcc00138
Title: Philadelphia's Skating Club
Additional Title: Interior of Club House
Print and Picture Collection
Halftone reproduction of original photograph printed on newspaper.
Accompanying text reads: From this rendezvous there used to sally forth such masters as Colonel James Page, who devised the "Philadelphia Twist;" T.W. Marchment, J.C. Sterling and others.
The Philadelphia Skating Club and Humane Society was founded in 1849 to promote instruction and improvement in the art of skating, and promote the development of indoor skating rinks. The Society's clubhouse on East River Drive (now Kelly Drive) along the banks of the Schuylkill was opened in 1861. Skating on the Schuylkill was a popular winter activity until about 1895 and the clubhouse was the scene of much activity.
A917.481 P536 v.2
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Page, James, 1795-1875