Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 64

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 64

Item Info

Item No: pdcc01851
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, page 64
Historic Street Address: 12th & Chestnut Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00134, middle right [image dimensions 10.0 cm x 5.0 cm]:

Opened in 1901 as Chestnut Street Keith's Theatre by impresario Benjamin F. Keith, it became a major vaudeville destination for such stars as Charlie Chaplin, Al Jolson and the Marx Brothers. The building's seven-story facade featured a recessed entrance under a triumphal arch supported by Ionic columns. In 1943, following years of gradual decline, William Goldman acquired the theatre to add to his movie circuit and renamed it the Randolph Theatre in memory of his late son Randolph. After extensive renovation to the auditorium it became one of the city's premier first-run movie theatres. In 1971 it closed and was demolished.

Source: http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/3363

Building demolished: YES ca. 1971


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.950409
Geocode Longitude:-75.160192

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.2
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Keith, B. F. (Benjamin Franklin), 1846-1914
Goldman, William