Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, (inside front cover)

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, (inside front cover)

Item Info

Item No: pdcc01785
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.2, Theatres, (inside front cover)
Historic Street Address: 118-128 North Broad Street
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00084, top [image dimensions 13.7 cm x 18.5 cm]:

Halftone reproduction of an original photograph.

Source: http://www.pafa.org/Museum/Research-Archives/History-and-Timeline/59/

The Academy of Fine Arts, now called the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, is situated on Broad & Cherry Streets. The institution was founded in 1805 by the painter Charles Willson Peale and the sculptor William Rush. It is the oldest art museum and school in the United States. The building shown is its current home and was built in 1876 and designed by Frank Furness and George Hewitt. Former student Thomas Eakins became a faculty member in 1878 and Director in 1882. The building has been designated as a National Historic Landmark.


Notes:

Item pdcc00085, middle [image dimensions 9.4 cm x 13.3]:

Halftone reproduction of an original photograph.

Source : http://www.pafa.org/Museum/Research-Archives/History-and-Timeline/59/

The image shows members of the public inside the academy. The pointed arches -  a distinctive feature of the interior -  are clearly shown. The building was designed by Frank Furness and George Hewitt, and built in 1876.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.955694
Geocode Longitude:-75.162939

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.2
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Peale, Charles Willson, 1741-1827
Furness, Frank, 1839-1912 - Artist
Hewitt, George Watson, 1841-1916 - Architect
Rush, William, 1756-1833
Cremer, James, 1821-1893 - Artist