Advanced
The Preston Retreat.

Item Info

Item No: pdcc00783
Title: The Preston Retreat.
Historic Street Address: 20th & Hamilton Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/paharc/timeline/1801/tline10.html


Notes:

Depicts the lying-in hospital for "indigent married women of good moral character."  The  Preston Retreat was founded in 1865 through the bequest of the 19th century obstetrician and philanthropist Dr. Jonas Preston. One of the roles of the institution was to provide a training site for student nurses affiliated to the University of Pennsylvania Hospital. The building was designed by celebrated architect Thomas Ustick Walter. Although the building was completed in 1840, it wasn't until 1866 that the institution opened.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.962261
Geocode Longitude:-75.171263

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.9
Creator Name: Telfer, Robert - Engraver
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler