Item No: pdcc00820
Title: Philadelphia Dispensary for the Medical Relief of the Poor.
Print and Picture Collection
Depicts the Philadelphia Dispensary for the Medical Relief of the Poor, on Fifth Street between Sansom and Walnut. The first institution of its kind in the country, the dispensary was established in 1786 by Dr. Benjamin Rush. The building was opened in 1801 and included an Obstetrical and Eye and Ear department. Consulting physicians and surgeons included such notables as Drs. Benjamin Rush, Caspar Wistar and Philip S. Physick.
A917.481 P536 v.9
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler