Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 35

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 35

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02457
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 35
Historic Street Address: 3609-3635 Chestnut Street
Historic Street Address: 7th & Catharine Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00830, top [image dimensions 13.8 cm x 19.7 cm]:

http://www.ralstoncenter.org/about-us/our-history.html

Shows the Indigent Widows and Single Women's Society building and grounds fronting Chestnut Street in West Philadelphia. The Ralston House, as the building became known, was founded in 1817 to provide a refuge for needy women. The present building was built in 1889 with additions in 1980. The building was closed as a residence in the 1980s and the organization became known as the Ralston Center and houses their administrative offices and is used for activities and office space by different organizations including the University of Pennsylvania Health System.


Notes:

Item pdcc00831, bottom [image dimensions 8.9 cm x 14.0 cm]:

http://explorepahistory.com/hmarker.php?markerId=1-A-3D3

Depicts the House of Industry, a neighborhood center located at 7th and Catharine Streets, which provided training, and shelter, for new immigrants and the urban poor. Opened in 1846 by the Philadelphia Society for the Employment and Instruction of the Poor, the House of Industry was one institution's response to the social upheavels of the day, before the rise of settlement houses later in the century.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.938959
Geocode Longitude:-75.154625

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.9
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler