Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 37

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 37

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02459
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 37
Historic Street Address: 44th & Market Streets
Historic Street Address: 49th & Market Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00832, top [image dimensions 10.7 cm x 19.0 cm]:

Depicts an exterior view of the Pennsylvania Hospital for the Insane, showing people enjoying the extensive grounds of the 100 acre site near 44th and Market in West Philadelphia.The new hospital opened in 1841 with Dr. Thomas Story Kirkbride as its superintendant.  Known as the "father of American psychiatry", Kirkbride believed fervently in the humane treatment of the insane, and adopted the most advanced therapeutic techniques of the day.  The building soon proved inadequate for Kirkbride's innovative ideas, which were based on his philosophy of individualized treatment, and in 1859 a twin building was opened for male patients five blocks to the west at 49th and Market Streets. The original building was reserved for females, and in 1959, was demolished to make way for the city's subway project.


Notes:

Item pdcc00833, middle [image dimensions 9.2 cm x 13.2 cm]:

Depicts an exterior view of the Pennsylvania Hospital for the Insane and its grounds near 49th and Market in West Philadelphia.The new hospital opened in 1859 as a twin to the original hospital building at 44th and Market. Dr. Thomas Story Kirkbride, the hospital's superintendant became known as the "father of American psychiatry". He believed fervently in the humane treatment of the insane, and adopted the most advanced therapeutic techniques of the day. The new building, which at first served male patients only (females remained at the original building), allowed him the space he needed to practice his innovative ideas. Eventually both departments were consolidated with the construction of a five-story addition to this building, which was renamed The Institute of the Pennsylvania Hospital. The hospital closed in 1997


Notes:

Item pdcc00834, bottom [image dimesions 7.0 cm x 10.6 cm]:

Depicts an exterior view of the Pennsylvania Hospital for the Insane, showing people enjoying the extensive grounds of the 100 acre site near 44th and Market in West Philadelphia.The new hospital opened in 1841 with Dr. Thomas Story Kirkbride as its superintendant. Known as the "father of American psychiatry", Kirkbride believed fervently in the humane treatment of the insane, and adopted the most advanced therapeutic techniques of the day. The building soon proved inadequate for Kirkbride's innovative ideas, which were based on his philosophy of individualized treatment, and in 1859 a twin building was opened for male patients five blocks to the west at 49th and Market Streets. The original building was reserved for females, and in 1959, was demolished to make way for the city's subway project.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.959633
Geocode Longitude:-75.218617

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.9
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Mason, William G. - Artist
Tucker, William E. - Engraver