Item No: pdcc00847
Title: Alms House
Print and Picture Collection
Depicts a distant view of the Philadelphia Almshouse sitting on high ground overlooking the Schuylkill River. The Market Street Bridge and Beck's Shot Tower are visible on the right beyond the foreground trees. In the far distance Eastern State Penitentiary and Girard College are recognisable. The almshouse, designed by architect William Strickland, was completed in 1833. It was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital, in 1919, and was closed in 1977.
A917.481 P536 v.9
Wild, J. C. (John Caspar), approximately 1804-1846 - Artist
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler