Advanced
Pennsylvania Hospital for the Insane

Item Info

Item No: pdcc00835
Title: Pennsylvania Hospital for the Insane
Additional Title: Insane Asylum, West Philadelphia
Historic Street Address: 44th & Market Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Depicts an exterior view of the Pennsylvania Hospital for the Insane, showing people enjoying the extensive grounds of the 100 acre site near 44th and Market in West Philadelphia.The new hospital opened in 1841 with Dr. Thomas Story Kirkbride as its superintendant. Known as the "father of American psychiatry", Kirkbride believed fervently in the humane treatment of the insane, and adopted the most advanced therapeutic techniques of the day. The building soon proved inadequate for Kirkbride's innovative ideas, which were based on his philosophy of individualized treatment, and in 1859 a twin building was opened for male patients five blocks to the west at 49th and Market Streets. The original building was reserved for females, and, in 1959, was demolished to make way for the city's subway project.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.958089
Geocode Longitude:-75.209425

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.9
Creator Name: Devereux, Nicholson B., approximately 1813- - Artist
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler