Pennsylvania Institute for the Deaf and Dumb

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Pennsylvania Institute for the Deaf and Dumb

Item Info

Item No: pdcc00818
Title: Pennsylvania Institute for the Deaf and Dumb
Historic Street Address: Broad & Pine Streets, Northwest corner
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Shows the Greek Revival building designed in 1824 by architect John Haviland for the Pennsylvania Institution for the Deaf and Dumb. The institution was founded in 1820 by David Seixas, a Philadelphia merchant, and is one of the oldest schools of its kind in the country. The school remained here until 1892, when it moved to a more spacious location in Mt. Airy. The image shows the facade of the Haviland building with a portico and four Doric columns flanked by niches. Two additions were made to this building; first, in 1838 by William Strickland, and again, in 1875 by Frank Furness. In 1893 the Pennsylvania Museum School of Industrial Art, now the University of the Arts, purchased the building, which was renamed Dorrance Hamilton Hall.

http://library.uarts.edu/archives/hamilton.html


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.945563
Geocode Longitude:-75.165167

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.9
Creator Name: Haviland, John, 1792-1852 - Architect
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler