Item No: pdcc00805
Title: Pennsylvania Institute for the Deaf and Dumb.
Historic Street Address:
Broad & Pine Streets, Northwest corner
Print and Picture Collection
Depicts the Greek Revival building designed in 1824 by architect John Haviland for the Pennsylvania Institution for the Deaf and Dumb. The institution was founded in 1820 by David Seixas, a Philadelphia merchant, and is one of the oldest schools of its kind in the country. The school remained here until 1892, when it moved to a more spacious location in Mt. Airy. The image shows the facade of the Haviland building with a portico and four Doric columns flanked by niches. The statues within the niches were never installed. Two additions were made to this building; first, in 1838 by William Strickland, and again, in 1875 by Frank Furness. In 1893 the Pennsylvania Museum School of Industrial Art, now the University of the Arts, purchased the building, which was renamed Dorrance Hamilton Hall.
A917.481 P536 v.9
Kearny, Francis, 1785-1837 - Engraver
Haviland, John, 1792-1852 - Architect
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler