Item No: pdcc00848
Title: Blockley Almshouse
Print and Picture Collection
Depicts the almshouse in Blockley Township overlooking the Schuylkill River. Designed by architect William Strickland, the building was completed in 1833. It was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919, but continued to be called "Old Blockley" for decades. The original buildings were gradually replaced by modern facilities, until it was closed in 1977.
A917.481 P536 v.9
Strickland, William, 1788-1854 - Architect
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler